Ms. Royals was a founding member of the firm and currently serves in an Of Counsel role. She focuses her practice on employment law, civil rights, and complex civil litigation. Although she primarily represents employees, she has also represented employers ranging from local small business owners to national corporations. Her practice includes the representation of clients in non- competition/restrictive covenant matters, defamation cases, and issues affecting LGBT employees in the workplace. Ms. Royals has been listed as a Virginia Super Lawyers "Rising Star" from 2009 through 2013, and was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in 2013 in the practice area of Litigation - Labor and Employment.
She is the author of “The Flip Side for Employees: Virginia Computer Crimes Act,” The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Summer 2005, and is a contributing author of the article “Electronic Discovery in Employment Cases,” The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Summer 2005.
- Many of Ms. Royals's cases are resolved on a confidential basis. She has successfully represented individuals and groups of employees in sexual harassment, gender and pregnancy discrimination, race discrimination, age discrimination, disability discrimination, and overtime cases against large national corporations, universities, localities, and the Commonwealth.
- Ms. Royals has also achieved excellent results for her clients in restrictive covenant matters. In one non-competition case, she was instrumental in obtaining an injunction against her physician client’s former employer, preempting that employer’s enforcement of a covenant not to compete. Ultimately, her client was able to practice in the very geographic area restricted by the non-competition covenant.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Richmond School of Law, 2005
- B.A., Louisiana State University, 2001
- Virginia (2005)
- U.S. Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association
Community and Pro Bono Activities
- Central Virginia Legal Aid
- Habitat for Humanity
BUTLER ROYALS, PLC 140 Virginia Street Suite 302Richmond, VA 23219804 • 648 • 4848